Hi my name is Erika and I’m addicted to sugar.
This week I was really taking a look at what I was eating and I notice something shocking. I have a sugar problem. The amount of sugar I intake and crave is out of control. I remember my boyfriend always mention that I have a sugar problem when we were beginning to date. When he would mention that I just thought that was him worrying. But now that I’m looking at what I’m eating I’m starting to realize he was right.
I feel like since he got diagnose with diabetes that was when I lost control. I started hiding sugary foods and drinks from him. At first I thought it was because I didn’t want him to get tempted but in the end I think I wanted to hide my addiction. Since this new lifestyle both of us have to be on board. No one can really cheat because it leads the other to go crazy too. I started to use the excuse of cheating at work to keep it out of our home but I see myself eating crap.
One thing about me that I inherited is my love for soda and coffee. I loves those things so much but the amount of sugar in them is insane. I especially can’t stay away from chocolate. So since of my June goal post I have been making sure that I am staying on top of things. That means getting my sugar intake to go down.
When I started the diabetic lifestyle I realized that sugar is everywhere and has many names. But I never compared the amount of sugar in each thing. So when I saw this image below I was shocked at the amount each one has.
Photo Source: Sugar Chart
- I know that with the amount of sugar I take in daily my body will definitely get sugar withdrawals. So I am planning on doing a sugar detox to start off my battle with sugar.
- For the sugar detox I am going to just infuse water with lemon, mint and cucumber. I will pick fruits and veggies that have properties that will detox my body. After that I am just going to change my habits to keep me away from reaching for a donut.
- It will start with just drinking water and unsweetened protein shakes. In the morning instead of going for the sweet coffee I’m going to go for a protein shake.
- The next thing is plan healthy carbs and healthy fat for lunch. I will also need to bring in some healthy snacks to keep me going through the day. This will keep me from eating junk food and going out for lunch.
- I will start introducing strength training to keep my blood sugar low. The more lean your body is the more easier it is to pass sugar through your system.
If you want to join me and put an end to our sugar addiction then be sure to check this link out. On Thin, Healthy, Me blog, she goes over what a sugar detox is and how you could benefit from it. She even created a Yes/ No food list that lets you know what you should eat.
Like or comment below.